KNOW ME!

My photo
Santa Ana, El Salvador
I´m angry but i can get along with you jeje The best description about me can be given just by my friends the persons who know me very well!!

Thursday, July 21, 2011

I CAN DO IT!........... First class!!


Hello everybody, this was my First teaching practice of this period. I´m teaching intermediate I in the early morning as most of you are, also.
Today I arrived ten minutes before the class started and before the teacher arrive. As soon as he got into the classroom I started the class.

I started it with the warm up it was an activity in which the students would know their classmates´ names and also they would write about their abilities using the auxiliary “CAN.” The activity is called “Two lies and two truths”

The second activity was the presentation. I used some action flashcards and introduce the auxiliary “CAN” by giving them examples about what I can do and I cannot. For example I shown a flashcard about soccer and I said “I can play soccer.”  This exercise was nice since the students could know about me and feel confidence.

Then, I gave them the flashcards and they would tell me about themselves; what they can do and cannot according to the flashcards they got.
After, the grammar section was coming. I brought some charts with short rules and examples as well the structures. I gave the grammar by making a rotating task. They formed groups and took a trip around the classroom to read and copy the charts. Then, I asked them to explain one chart and to give an example. Thanks God they did it very well, they understood. I just emphasized some points and helped them with some doubts.

Here I went with the practices. “Spinning the bottle” it´s a very popular game in teenagers lives and they were happy when I told them we would play it. But I adapted it to the topic. One side of the bottle would be for questions and the other side would be for answering. So, two people would participate at the same time. They were asking kind of personal questions but it was ok since they were using the auxiliary “CAN.” Everybody participated.

To finish my first successful class I asked them to make groups according to the color of the paper they were given in the first activity (the warm up) and I gave them flashcards about some professions. They should talk about what the professionals can and can´t do.

As homework they were assigned to work in pairs and choose a profession from their handout and make a talent show in which one would be the interviewer and the other would be the interviewee. The teacher would check it in the next class.

In every activity I gave them examples and I made questions to see if they understood the directions.
I felt a little of bit nerves at the beginning but later on I forgot them!
My objective match with the topic and the activities were connected with it.
My feedback was nice because I was able to correct my mistakes, I noticed them!
I had a great grade and I hope next time would be better.

10 comments:

Teacher Yenni said...

Chikitina...
It was great the way in which you teach the grammar part. I liked the way in which you made students participate. That's the purpose, we ought to allowed students to be their own teachers. Most of the time, they know more than we think...
Congratulations chicken little... :)

WH173 4N631L said...

XD thanks, my tutor told me the same!!!

Raúl Vega said...

Nice activities pekeñuela... I think I'm gonna steal some of them :-)
I have taught that topic before and the activities you made gave me more ideas for the next time I teach that. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

WH173 4N631L said...

=P ajá!! you are an educated thief!! XD

Thanks.....chulada!

Blackrainbow said...

Good luck in the way!!!!!!!!

cemelendez said...

Zuleima,

I really enjoyed reading about your class. I think you are very confident when you are teaching no matter the group you have to teach. I really liked the activities you mention in your entry this week. Good job!!

WH173 4N631L said...

Thanks teacher!!!

WH173 4N631L said...

Thanks teacher "Blackrainbow" Good luck in your way, too! =D

Ockap Lemyc said...

I´m glad to know that you got early to the classroom because I know it is something difficult for you hehehe. I liked your adaptation for the bottle game, it is awesome. I remember that you said you were afraid about your tutor teacher, but now I see that you overcome that, which is excellent because in that way you will be teaching better every time…. By the way, I hate those little dolls in your blog hahaha you should eliminate them, just think about it ok byeee

WH173 4N631L said...

hahahahhaha what happen with my dolls??? they´re really cute!!! just like me!! XD

Thanks for your comment about my class...Fidanzato for my job and my practices I´m always earlier!! =P... And I´m still afraid about my tutor but I have to continue and do my best!!